Gloves are now essential more than ever due to the harmful bacteria, viral outbreak, and hazardous chemicals that we are exposed to every day. But do you really know what type of gloves provides the protection you need? Here we laid down the important information one must know to effectively choose a glove.
Material: Made from natural rubber
Advantage: It has the highest elasticity making it highly stretchable, has great durability, and gives a firm fit to the hands that made it perfect for healthcare providers and surgeons to do sensitive work because they can move their hands comfortably while having a better grip and dexterity. Also, it gives a high level of protection against viruses and bacteria.
Disadvantage: Latex has been reported to commonly cause skin allergies to those who wear it and is also considered risky to those who come in contact with the wearer. Another downfall of latex gloves is that it does not protect you against harmful chemicals and solvents.
Material: Made from non-latex synthetic rubber (acrylonitrile-butadiene)
Advantage: The most versatile gloves in the market for the following reasons: it has a very low allergy rate accounting to only 1% of users, gives great protection against hazardous substances/chemicals, highly stretchable, and provides great durability.
Disadvantage: It is normally much expensive than Latex and Vinyl gloves.
Material: Made from non-latex synthetic material (PVC/polyvinyl chloride)
Advantage: It does not give an allergic reaction to the skin and is the most affordable among the three. Provides decent durability for a variety of use and gives protection against the common risk of contamination on food and other substances that are harmful to the skin.
Disadvantage: It does not provide the same elasticity and durability as the latex and nitrile that makes it less stretchy, less comfortable when used, fits loosely, and tear easier. It also provides only minor protection against bacteria, viruses, and chemicals.
Glove options with specific benefits
Apart from the three main materials, there are different options of gloves that give it more specific benefits.
- Powdered Finish– Enhanced donning / easier to slide on gloves
- Powder-Free Finish – Powder was removed that reduces allergic reaction, removes powder residue, removes powder interference with wound closure and chemical process, and is more hygienic to use.
- Chlorinated Finish – Reduces surface tackiness, smooth texture for all-day comfort/long-wear, easy donning, less allergic reaction on latex, reduces product shelf life
- Polymer Finish – Non-Chlorinated, Odor-free, longer shelf life, easy donning.
- Sterile – FDA (USA Food and Drugs Standard) sterilization standard approved and can be used for surgical procedures. Provides high protection against exposure on blood or bodily fluid.
- Non-sterile – Provides protection against exposure on blood or bodily fluid but is not FDA approved and cannot be used as a surgical glove.
When choosing a glove, make sure to identify what fits your needs so that you can spend wisely and get properly protected.
CLICK HERE to browse our wide selection of branded medical gloves with different sizes and quantity to choose from.