What is COVID19?
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a newly discovered coronavirus, which was first identified in Wuhan City, Hubei, province of China.
COVID-19 attacks the respiratory system of those infected by it. It may cause moderate to serious infection depending on the underlying illness of a patient – cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic respiratory disease, cancer.
Symptoms of COVID-19
- Dry cough / Sore throat
- Nasal congestion / Runny nose
These symptoms vary from person to person. Some people who tested positive from COVID-19 are asymptomatic – experienced no symptoms.
Around 1 out of every 6 COVID-19 patients become seriously ill and about 80% recover from this disease without special treatment.
How is COVID-19 transmitted?
The COVID-19 primarily spread from person to person through droplets of saliva when an infected individual sneezes, coughs or speaks. These droplets – if not inhaled by another person within 1 meter – quickly fall into surfaces or objects which could then infect another person who touches these areas then touching their nose, mouth, and eyes afterward.
Measures implemented by the UAE Government to control this situation.
To make sure UAE residents are safe from the easily-transmitted virus and to support the businesses and economy, the UAE government implemented the following measures:
Dh126 Billion Financial Stimulus
A total of Dh126 billion stimulus package is ready to be allotted to offset the slowdown in the economy set off by the coronavirus outbreak.
National Disinfection Programme
Disinfection of public facilities and public transportations starting 26th of March until 4th of April 2020 was implemented wherein from 8 PM to 6 AM, movement of public and traffic, including public transportation and metro services, are restricted. During this disinfection drive, streets, roads, and all other public areas are sanitized to avoid the spread of the virus.
Work/study from home
- Government entities implemented a 100% remote working system on 29th March 2020 for its employees.
- Private businesses were directed to implement a remote working system to 80% of their employees until 9th April 2020.
- Educational institutes adopted e-learning platforms so students can study at home.
Rental bills and banking payments were considered
- Temporary suspension of eviction judgements on all rental-related cases in March and April in Dubai.
- Abu Dhabi stopped all ongoing rental property eviction cases along with executive procedures except cases relate to alimony and labor disputes.
- Sharjah Government will waive all rental bills of all shop tenant for 3 months.
Abu Dhabi Bank initiatives
- Maximum of 3 persons to ride a small vehicle.
- Online vehicle registration was implemented on 22nd March 2020.
Public places to temporarily stop operating
- Beaches, amusement parks, clubs, including major tourist areas to stop operating for the whole month of March.
- Malls to stop operating until 5th April 2020.
Anyone who causes panic to the public due to rumors or false news will be imprisoned ranging from one-above years depending on the panic caused.
Postponed UAE visas and documents
- All visa holders who are out of the country for a renewable period of two weeks.
- All pre-approved visas were canceled and applications for new visas were suspended until further notice.
- Issuance of work permits is temporarily suspended except for Expo 2020 workers and intercorporate transfers.
Flights and airports
- Suspension of all inbound and outbound passenger flights and the transit of airline passengers in the UAE for two weeks which started 25th March 2020.
- 14-day quarantine is to be abided by anyone coming in UAE.
- Installation of thermal scanners to all airports of UAE and a 45-minute process to check if a person is safe to go or needs to be taken to the hospital.
No dine-in policy
Restaurants and fast-food chains were only allowed to do home deliveries and take out.
No public gatherings
- Place of worship – Pray from home for four weeks since 16th March 2020
- Celebrations – Nobody shall hold parties or weddings at home for the whole month of March 2020.
Postponement of surgeries
All elective non-urgent surgeries are postponed for the whole month of March to make sure enough resources are available.
New Medical City
A new medical facility in Abu Dhabi is being established to accommodate patients of COVID19.
Strict 1-2 meters social distancing is followed by restaurants, pharmacies, including pedestrians, and trains. Anyone seen to be violating this distance will be fined.
UAE government together with our public workers are in full force combatting this virus outbreak to keep the UAE residents safe. Protect yourself and the people around you by cooperating with the mentioned precautionary measures, practice proper respiratory etiquette, good hygiene, frequent handwashing, social-distancing, and most importantly, stay home as much as you can.